Sunday, February 1, 2009

Warhol, La Face, and Middle School.


I have neglected this blog I know. But now with the beginning of February and other beginnings in my life, I feel renewed and ready to share once more. Hopefully you are too.
First, I am finally FINALLY going to Pittsburgh this spring and to my Mecca, the Andy Warhol Museum. I cannot wait. I suppose since I'm going with my history nut father, I will see a few other things like Fort Pitt or even a Pirates game. But fear not, I plan on going to the Warhol Museum (and store!) many times. I am curious to see what permanent collections they have as well as whatever current exhibit will be there at the beginning of April. I do also wonder what possible trinket I could purchase at the gift shop since I already own a Warhol wig, doll, purse, wallet, many books, a few postcards and now this mini Warhol. Perhaps, a simple T-shirt? How typical!
The other news that probably many of you know is that I was swallowed into the entity that is Facebook. Last January, 2008, I started an account one day when bored and never thought of it again. All of the sudden, a week ago, several friends "requested" me and the madness began. I was hooked. Still am but have gotten it under control. In fact I haven't logged on in a few days which for some would be an eternity but I'm tough. I've also found another new/old addiction: word searches. I'm nuts about word searches. I now know what I will be doing all day long in the old folks' home when I'm 90.
My final new news is that I have been offered a long term sub job in a middle school starting after Spring Break until the end of the year. It would be in a LAP program helping students with reading and comprehension skills. I'd work with about 16 students each period and have a full time para helping everyday. With all these positives, I still am apprehensive. Middle school students make me nervous and I feel self conscious. I'm going to observe a few full days to get a feel for the students. The teacher has a whole transition plan in place as well. I have a feeling though that I will take the job for the mere fact that I love to scare, challenge and prove to myself how capable I really am. I'm a bit of a masochist that way.
In closing, Happy Black History month. Very exciting.

No comments: