Wednesday, February 20, 2008

I feel a bit like Carrie Bradshaw.

"As I reflected on the day's events, I couldn't help but wonder if substitute teaching is the key to understanding relationships?"

Yes, I did think that yesterday and let me tell you why. Due to the nature of my Master's program and the nature of myself, I am a reflective person. I think about stuff...a lot. And every night, after I've had a sub job, I rehash the events and ponder what lessons I've learned. Sometimes they are fun. ("Hannah Montana rules!") Sometimes they are not. ("You are ugly and I hate you!") Sometimes they are useful. ("Don't let a chatty class work in partners or groups.") Sometimes they are not. ("You have to hold some pencils at a slight degree when sharpening.") But the best lessons are ones that are about my own teaching and me. My strengths, my weaknesses, my obsession with walking down the hall quietly. These bits of insight can be amusing or sometimes painful.

For instance, I realized that I am not as consistent as I should be. While this is a great skill for improv jazz musicians or thieves eluding the cops, for a teacher, it is death. Students expect certain things. Their world at school has a rhythm and routine that just you being there is interrupted. To make up for this rudeness, you must be steady and somewhat predictable. You cannot let Jimmy sit at the back table but then tell Cindy she cannot. As a substitute teacher, you must be an equalizing force. Be Switzerland! Better yet, be the UN Council!

Secondly, I realized that I need to state my expectations at the get go. While being mysterious or holding back might get you a wink at the bar, in a class you will be called unfair and probably a picture of you with horns will be drawn. I have to be straight forward and unafraid of asking for what I want. I find this difficult since I could never do that with dates my own age but now am forced to do that with twenty or more 5-10 year olds.

The more I thought about these and other insights, the more I realized this was what I needed to improve any relationship I have or will have. It was quite strange and yet very exciting.

Does this mean the more I teach, the better I will become at other things? Are pencil sharpening and wood sculpture connected? After a day of standing in front of a tough crowd of 2nd graders, will I then be able to do stand-up comedy?
(Forgive any spelling errors, my blog's spell check is not working.)

No comments: