Thursday, November 6, 2008

Reckless Spending.




I LOVE music. If you wanted proof, I could go on and on about how I used to keep time to the dishwasher with pots and pans as a child, about how I can recognize a lot of songs within a few beats, about how I was a dj, about how I love making mix cds/tapes/pick your format, and about all the other ways music influences, feeds, breathes, and invades my life. Trust me, I LOVE music. So, you'd probably think that I have tons of cds in piles all around my room. Yes, I do own a great many, have a great many on hold at the library and will eventually purchase a great many. But, I have also given away or let go of a great many. I justify this action with the following points.
1. Some cds are awful.--I used to have a three song rule. Meaning once you love three singles or at least three songs, you can buy said album even if it is by one of your eternals. (Eternals: musicians or bands that you "know you will love forever.") This is silly since some artists change and not in ways that you necessarily like. For instance, I love the whole "single gal, trying to take on the world stuff" since that is where I am right now but not the whole "I'm married and in love stuff." Therefore no matter who it is, three songs is not enough.
2. Certain albums will end up being tied to a specific time, moment or person. --I can't listen to some Led Zeppelin cause it reminds me of the one that got away. I can't listen to the Smiths too much since I think of a mortal enemy. You get the picture.
3. Sometimes, no matter how many people like it, if you don't, you never will.--How many people have done something because so and so thought it was cool? How many of you have bought an album because your best friend, Rolling Stone magazine, or even David Bowie thought it was cool? Yeah, okay, they ain't you. Follow your heart and buy what you like. Not what you think you SHOULD like.
I could write more but let's stop here. Let me sum this up by writing that like our government, I too have do some reckless spending. I'll try to reform my ways.

No comments: