Saturday, April 25, 2009

Life lessons...Magpie style.

As an approaching MAT reunion looms in the distance, I started doing something I did for most of grad school. No, not go get a beer and talk art with Chrissy and Roxie but rather...REFLECT! Yes my friends, the almighty R...powerful and rather annoying. I thought mostly of my current assignment at the Middle School and came up with a few bits of knowledge that might be helpful for others.

1.Be humble. The moment you start thinking you are Miss Substitute of the World, a modern day Mary Poppins who can handle it all, the sarcastic Education Gods will knock you on your bum and put you in Middle School where you will feel like you just started your STUDENT TEACHING.

2. Gum has magical powers that allow it to appear in the mouths of babes without warning. It is also a terribly addicting drug to the 12-14 age group.

3. Start studying wild animals suddenly put into captivity. It will be useful during WASL week.

4. No one you teach knows who Andy Warhol is. Just get over it. Same with David Bowie.

5. Finally, Laugh. Otherwise you will cry. Trust me.

That's all for now but I'm sure as the year winds down I will have some more.

1 comment:

Kale Iverson said...

Life Lesson's continued...from one of your MAT friends in bush alaska. (when is the reunion by the way?)

Lesson 1: I am still way cooler than my students...don't forget this and you won't become old.

Lesson 2: Students music sucks, the more you point this out and play them the real goods, the sooner you will have domination.

Lesson 3: School lunch gives them wicked toxic gas, do yourself a favor open the windows before they get there after lunch.

Lesson 4: My happiness in life directly effects my students, if I stay positive they will to.

Lesson 5: You can't save em all, but its good to try.

It'll be good to hang out this summer, looking forward to it in fact.

Kale