Wednesday, October 24, 2007

I trying to figure it out.

How can I really listen to my students?
How can I learn to understand them?

I struggle since as a substitute I must come in everyday completely new and without knowing the students well. I have to make split second decisions, take first impressions as all I know, and sometimes, well probably more often than not, mess up. I think it is crazy. I mean here I am a total stranger with sometimes only some notes from a teacher deciding how a child's day will go. They have to adjust to me and I have to adjust to them. I find my patience is tested a lot and I never realized that I can be so critical. I'm trying to understand how to be a better substitute teacher. One that is respected and listened to but also one that does not judge. I supposed it is difficult to do. Since as a sub, I am forever trying to gain control. I never get a chance to develop a real relationship with the students. And I am forever feeling empty. Always beginning and always ending. Constantly in flux...Maybe I understand Buddhism better than I thought!

No comments: