Wednesday, October 10, 2007

It's like riding a bicycle.

After a break from subbing, I went back today to a first grade class. It also was a half day so I was only there for 3 and 1/2 hours. It went pretty well. Once again there were questions about where their regular teacher is, the issue of pronouncing the names correctly, and the millions of helpful comments like "We do it this way, not that way." Overall, my confidence in my teaching returned. But I realized several things today. 1) Children move A LOT! They can't seem to sit still or stay quiet for too long. My brother would probably say the same thing about me. I don't know why but I am always amazed by this discovery. 2) I still cannot believe that I do something that requires me to start over, be brand new, have a first day everyday! I've always thought of myself as shy. This comes and goes. In college and a few years after, I was my most confident. But events that happened nearly two years ago still shake me from time to time and I begin to revert to the quiet timid Hillary. I am in awe of myself that I am able to be a sub and not be afraid. Even with the awful Middle schoolers, I was not afraid, just mad. This makes me so proud of myself and also completely blogged! It is fascinating when you discover things about yourself that you never knew. I'm beginning to understand that I will have a lifelong puzzle to work on...myself.

No comments: