Wednesday, May 21, 2008

I can do anything.

Although I may come across as a sort of free spirited/fly by night type of gal, in all honesty I love control and predictability. As a sub, you don't get this too often. Case in point: Today's assignment.

I had signed up for a 2nd grade class that I had been in once before. I arrived on time, got the attendance stuff and went to the classroom. Ten minutes later (I won't make a comment about the "regular" teacher being late.) the teacher whose room it is comes in with a sort of "what the hell are you doing?" look and says, "I don't have a sub today."

First of all, nice attitude.
Second, don't leave someone else to do your cancelling.

After some discussion, it is apparent what happened and the woman goes down to the office to see if I am needed elsewhere,etc. When I get there, they ask the words I never like to hear, "How do you feel about 6th grade?"

How do I feel? I hate it! I hated it when I was in 6th grade. Every experience with 6th graders since has been horrible. I want to scream, cry, and swear...but instead I say, "You know, I really don't like it, am not good at it, but I'll give it a shot."

Luckily this school has like a dean of students or what a vice-principal would be in a middle school. She was awesome. She gave me some tips, said she'd come by, and other words of encouragement.

And you all know how this story ends. They were a great bunch of kids, we had fun, I survived and even enjoyed myself at points. Although I did end up sending two kids to the next door classroom for a few minutes (due to attitude, I can't stand attitude.), the class was really well behaved and earned some time outside at the end of the day. Now, I know this is not a typical 6th grade but I felt like I had conquered the world. I really needed this small victory to see that I am capable of so much more than I realize. I am stronger, braver, and tougher than I ever knew. And more importantly, tougher, braver, and stronger than I look!

1 comment:

Meredith Lynch said...

6th graders. Ouch! I so admire you.