Thursday, May 15, 2008

Some old/new things I love right now.

1. Weezer---I love, love, love their first two albums. Plus their new single "Pork and Beans" is awesome.
"I'ma do the things I want to do, I ain't got a thing to prove to you...I ain't gonna wear the clothes you that you like, I'm fine and dandy with the me inside."

2."Franny and Zooey."---what a terrific book! I actually borrowed this from an ex-boyfriend and kept it. When I first read it I totally related to Franny (with her slight breakdown and inept boyfriend) and now I think I relate more to Zooey (sassy, in the bathtub for a long time). But the whole thing is great. Hands down, my favorite Salinger book.

3.Sharpening pencils---yes, this is weird but somehow very therapeutic. I think I spend too much time with K-3 graders, they are notoriously obsessed with sharp pencils.

4. Duffy and Estelle---Duffy is a Welsh singer who will be compared to Amy Winehouse undoubtly but who is amazing and has her own "old soul sound." I love her album. I got it just yesterday and am listening to it non-stop. Yes, it is in Starbucks but she is definitely worth checking out. Estelle is a British hip-hop/soul singer that John Legend discovered or signed or something. She is awesome and raps in a British accent. "If I wanted to be part time, I'd work at the checkout counter."

5. Maps---I have always been fascinated by maps, atlases, globes, etc. I have the pocket world atlas by my bed and have been looking up different places at night before I go to bed. (Those who know me will recall the dictionary in the bathroom at one of my apartments for looking up words while in the bathtub.) My most recent search : New Zealand, since I was watching "Flight of the Conchords."

These are the things that are filling my world right now. Along with Columbo episodes on dvd, tea, squirrely children at my sub jobs, and the smell of spring in the air.

2 comments:

Susan Iverson said...

I like your list of things you love right now. I think everyone should find something to love in each day. Today, I love the fact that I have one son home from college and one teacher son coming home a week from today. But that's just me! Kale says I'm way too corny but I don't care.

Kale Iverson said...

see! other people comment! I hope we get to meet up this summer and catch up! I'll be home very soon and I hope you are already getting out and enjoying spring.

kale