Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Don't get too comfortable, it might be good for you!

I have been subbing since September now and I have reached that point where teachers I randomly was assigned or picked are now requesting me. It is a fabulous feeling to be wanted.

And so today, I was planning on returning to a class I had taught in during November. The teacher has a pretty cushy deal. First, the whole school is late start elementary. So even if you are there at 8 am, which is the usual required time, the students do not come until like 9:15. Then, this teacher does not have any students until nearly ten. 1st graders from each of the 2 classes come for math and reading. It is called "enrichment." After that, they go to lunch, as does the teacher, then there is a while before some 5th graders come to do math and reading as well. Last time, since everything was planned and I am pretty familiar with their curriculum, I had huge amounts of time to do nothing. So, when I had the opportunity to come back, I jumped at the chance. Especially since the next day would be a tough class. It is sometimes nice to have an "easy" day. I packed a lunch, my current reading "The Freedom Manifesto" and a magazine called "Artful Blogging." I had visions of relaxation and quiet reflection.

If you are ever going to substitute teach, don't ever think anything is set in stone.

I arrived at the school, smiling secretly while thinking of my play day, and found that this was not to be. The school was short subs, and the teacher I was going to sub for had requested me due to a release day. This means she was at school but was going to plan with her grade-level team. Things got switched around and suddenly I would be covering a 5th grade class instead! They asked if I was okay with this which is always funny since what am I like going to say? "No. I don't ever want to get a job because I want to be known as demanding and inflexible."

As I made my way to the class room, a helpful teacher showed me where some things were and on their way out said, "Oh this is a tough group. They'll test you." Great. There goes perusing "Artful Blogging."

But you know what happened? IT WAS AWESOME. We had fun. They were characters definitely but nothing as evil as had been alluded to. I even got a little card that said "Miss Thoren, you rock! B.S.E." (For those of you not in the know, that means Best Sub Ever.)

I just hope this doesn't mean tomorrow will be terrible.

1 comment:

Kale Iverson said...

I always found the "evil" classes were the ones with the crappiest teachers. Even a Pinto looks nice next to a broken down pile of scrap metal, and you my friend are no Pinto. Its amazing how prophecy works in school. "Oh that kid is a bad apple," really just means that everyone tell that kid so and then he is one.

From one B.S.E. to another, good job.