Sunday, January 27, 2008

What the magpie found

HDT STORY OF THE WEEK
This time it is about me. When I was in the first grade, I got my very first migraine headache. I remember that we were doing silent reading and all of the sudden waves started to pass before my eyes. They say that sometimes these headaches cause lines or spots to blur vision. I saw waves and immediately thought I was going blind. I don't remember what happened next but I have two memories after the wave sight. First, being in the nurse's office while they called my mom and laying on a vinyl cot. Next, I remember sitting on my Aunt Bettie's kitchen floor and she gave me Pepto-Bismal with a spoon. I loved it!
I bring up this memory since Friday night I started to get another migraine headache. I haven't had one in quite a while and this was a particularly heinous one. It forced me to not only miss a dear friend's engagement party but also rendered me useless, anxious, and sick all day Saturday. I know I have been pushing myself too hard lately and everything finally came crashing down on Friday night telling me that my body needed a rest. I don't know if it is being a Scorpio or being a Hillary but I tend to drive myself to extremes. As much as I constantly am seeking balance or a middle ground, I often force the pendulum to swing a little to hard.

THE MASTER AND THE MAKEUP
I don't really have a new makeup story for this week but I can write about my lotion issues. I love lotion. I tend to have about 5 or 6 different lotions going at once. Right now, I have a sleeply lavender lotion near the bed for night time, two different skin firming lotions, a shimmer lotion, a lotion spefically for hands and one for sensitive faces. It is really out of control. But I figure that this is the least harmful of any possible addications. Plus I did not buy all of them myself. Some came from my lotion enablers like my mother.

CURRENTLY LOVING
Watch the PBS series Art 21. There are four seasons out on dvd, most likely available from your local library. They are divided into themes. Each season usually has four like "Play, Space, Humor, etc." Throughout the themes various contemporary artists are introduced and explain their work, open up their studio, and reveal ideas, projects, what have you. They are absolutely wonderful. Art is my true love, I just teach for the money and this series reminds me how much I love art and art history. I watch the show, taking notes, and making plans, ideas. It really is very inspiring. Plus the artists use all kinds of mediums. A recent favorite is Judy Pfaff. She is this very cool lady welder sculptor who uses welding, tree roots, giant plaster sculptures to make these fascinating installtions. Even if you do not consider yourself an artist, these are interesting for everyone.

1 comment:

Meredith Lynch said...

On the topic of makeup, have you experimented with foundation yet? Though I've worn eye makeup religiously for the last 10 years or so, I've never worn foundation. My mom insists that it's time I start. Ugh!