Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Projects, plans, and paper.



I woke up to a bright sunny day this morning and it sent me flying. Yesterday I could feel the inspiration swirling around. This usually means that projects aren't far behind. And then this morning, it all came at once.

Last night I had made a collage or two, wrote in my journal, and started researching Holga cameras. I don't know much about them but want to learn. It happened quite by accident. I was looking at the urban outfitters web site and checked out their home section since they had a David Bowie poster. The home section has a "camera and appliances" subsection that introduced me once again to the Holga camera. It is known for unpredictable effects on the photos and has that whole retro kitsch thing going for it.

This morning, remembering that my library was going to reopen after renovations, I browsed their website and have several cds (Iron and Wine, Modest Mouse), dvds (a bio on Man Ray and another on Edna St. Vincent Millay) and even a book (celebrity tattoos) on the way.

I love these little spells of creation. Since today is my last day off before a long week of work for my mentor teacher, I'm happy to putter around playing with paper and rubber cement. Maybe I'll go wild and even break out the India Ink. I love being a curious magpie artist!

P.S. If you can tell me what this machine is that would be lovely. It spins when the sun is shining. I'm sure it is called a photo-something but I can't remember.

1 comment:

Kale Iverson said...

I love it when inspiration infects you like a virus. You have to get something creative out or else your fever won't break. I get frantic with inspiration sometimes, the aftermath being a destroyed apartment of art supplies. But a messy workplace is a tell tale sign that I might be becoming a real artist?